Why do you need static caravan insurance?
By law, you don’t have to have it but that’s a far cry from whether you need it or not. If you want to protect your rather large purchase, we’d most certainly recommend that you choose a static caravan insurance policy that fits.
What’s the difference between an independent insurance agent and an insurance broker?
Independent agents will be working with one insurance company whilst an insurance broker will have partnerships with multiple insurance companies giving their customers a wider range of policies to choose from. A key point to make here is that independents will be working in the insurance providers’ best interest and not necessarily yours. A broker works for its customers and ultimately wants to make you happy. That being said, many intermediaries provide great levels of cover and exceptional customer service but we’d recommend you do your research before you sign on the dotted line to make sure you have everything you need.
Tips for discounted insurance
By joining certain communities and clubs relating to the caravan world you could be entitled to many types of discounts including your static caravan insurance so before you look for a suitable policy you should check these out to see what you’d be entitled to as a member:
The Caravan & Motorhome Club
The Camping and Caravanning Club
Five Star static caravan insurance providers for 2017
Leisuredays Static Caravan Insurance
Leisuredays have been donned with the 5-Star Defaqto rating for 2017 and pride themselves on having a 95% recommendation rate on Review Centre and that 97% of their customers agree they receive a high level of customer service.
- New for old option
- £10,000 for emergency repairs, debris removal and re-siting
- 24 hour claims helpline
- £100,000 legal expenses option
- £5 million public liability cover
- Emergency accommodation costs
- £2,500 ground rent cover
- £25,000 fatal accident benefit
- Hiring out and loss of earnings options (£250 excess)
Shield Total Caravan Insurance
Shield Total has gained a 4.6 out of 5 customer experience Feefo rating and their policies start from £82 per year. They help to provide you with only what you need with optional extras to boost your cover.
- New for old cover available for up to 20 years
- Covers against theft, impact or damage by a third party
- Covers for ancillary domestic outbuilding
- Up to £10,000 to cover debris removal, re-siting and reconnection
- Loss or damage caused by flooding, falling trees, fire and storms
- Loss or damage caused by subsidence
- A contribution towards the costs of alternative accommodation
- Cover for accidental damage available
- Up to £5 million public liability cover
- Excess starts from £50
Club Care Insurance
Their flexible policy starts from £82 per year and offer a 5% discount if you’re a member of The Camping and Caravanning Club.
- Personal belongings cover for £2,500
- Cover for debris removal and re-siting costs
- Market value cover available
- New for old cover available up to 20 years
- £350 refrigerated and frozen food cover
- Up to £5million public liability cover
- Up to £50,000 personal accident cover
- £500 cover for pedal cycles and wheelchairs
- Title deed cover - £750
- Covers all household members
- 5% discount for members of The Camping and Caravanning Club
NACO (National Association of Caravan Owners) static caravan insurance
Only available to NACO members but you get a number of benefits by joining up.
- Protection against fire, theft and storm damage
Four Star static caravan insurance providers for 2017
- £15,000 debris removal and re-siting & delivery costs.
- £5 million public liability insurance
- £1,000 locks and keys cover
- £1,000 vermin cover
- £1,000 freezer food cover
- £75 standard excess
- Accidental damage cover as standard
- Protection against loss of rent & accommodation costs
- Underwritten by Lloyd's of London
Highly knowledgeable in all things caravan and they’ll provide you with on-going advice if you need it.
- They’ll cover caravans valued up to £150,000
- £5 million public liability insurance
- New for old cover for caravans up to and including 20 years of age
- Accidental damage, fire, theft, vandalism, storm and flood cover
- Friends and family use included
- Loss of use and hiring charges cover up to £10,000 including the cost for alternative accommodation
- Cover for contents of outbuildings
- The caravan can be used for hire and reward
- Debris removal, delivery and re-siting
- Cover for decking, skirting, steps and balconies
- 4.7 out of 5 customer experience Feefo rating (710 reviews)
Don’t be put off by the name, Discount Insurance cover is highly competitive and easy to deal with.
- Loss or damage cover includes risks such as fire, flood, storm, theft, explosion, impact and escape of water/oil
- Accidental damage cover – cover for unexpected damage to the caravan
- Alternative accommodation – cover if your caravan becomes damaged or stolen
- Public Liability – up to £5 million cover
- Loss of keys – replacement of locks and keys up to £500
- Optional contents and outdoor furniture cover is also available
- Instant online delivery of documents
- In-house claims team to help you through every step of your claim
- ‘Excellent’ 5 star Trust Pilot review rating
Towergate provide a lot of advice for caravan owners on their website including information on what you should be covered for. They currently have a 4-star rating on Defaqto and a Feefo Customer experience rating from 692 reviews of 4.6 so they should definitely be on your list of possibilities.
- New for old on 20 years old or less
- £0 excess on most claims – unless subsidence
- Flood cover as standard
- Will cover contents
- Frost and water damage
- Claims paid by BACs
- If you hire out your caravan you can be covered too
- Offer a 10% discount if you install UPVC locks or use Ramtech or StarTech alarm systems
- Recommend a friend offers
With static caravan policies starting from £86 per year, Coast are a vastly recognised insurance authority and they’ve just been nominated in the 2017 Insurance Choice Awards.
Whichever policy you choose we’re confident that there are enough insurance companies out there to help you tailor it to your needs without paying for things you don’t want. Happy hunting!
- Fire, flood and storm cover
- Covers theft
- Malicious and impact damage covered
- Full accidental damage
- Loss of rent
- Legal expenses including disputes between site owners and residents
- Site clearance
- Frozen food is covered
- Alternative accommodation
- Recommend a friend offers
So what is Camplify?
We are the UK's fastest-growing peer-to-peer caravan hire and RV sharing community. Camplify is just like Airbnb, but for caravans, campervans, motorhomes, trailer tents and lodges. We connect RV owners with holidaymakers in a safe and secure sharing environment. It's free to list and we take care of insurance and breakdown cover while your RV is out on hire.
Curious to learn what you could earn hiring out your RV on Camplify? Try our free hire income calculator via the button below.
To find out how Camplify can work with you and your RV,
register today here.